Wednesday 17 March 2010

Gemma's Half Marathon



Firstly, I'd like to start off by introducing myself. My name is Gemma Busby and I've worked in the Estimates Department at Constantine Ltd for just over 2 years. I wanted to write a short piece for our newly released blog to thank my colleagues, friends and family for their kind support whilst I trained for my first half marathon (I hesitate over the word first!)

I had the crazy idea of doing this back in January. Basically, I was doing the typical "new year, new healthy start", and I signed up for the Milton Keynes Half Marathon. I had completed a couple of 5K runs and thought ... well ... how hard could it be?! 2 months of hellish (but extremely rewarding!) training later and I completed the whole 13.1 miles in 1:46:48, raising over £600 for the charity CLIC (Cancer and Leukaemia in Childhood). A charity that is very close to my heart.

The race day itself was fantastic, with a great atmosphere, which certainly helps when you reach the 10th mile and want to collapse into a ball! Although the race was mainly flat and on roads, the organisers did "kindly" end the run with a steep mile long incline! However, the support from the crowd near the finish line was uplifting, even encouraging me to sprint the last couple of hundred yards. I would definitely recommend anyone with a bit of self-motivation to take on a challenge like this, as it is so rewarding. Also ... if I can do it ... anyone can!

So, I'll finish where I began, by thanking everyone so much for their help and support. The money that we have raised is helping some very poorly children and their families, hopefully making their situation a little easier, as it did my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment